The hustings meeting was organised by Murrayfield Community Council at Murrayfield Parish Church Centre's Main Hall. It was attended by about 50 members of the public. All candidates for the 9 March 2023 by-election were present except the SNP candidate. They answered pre-submitted questions that were drawn from a box at random. Phyllis Stephen from the Edinburgh Reporter was present and her report can be found here: https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2023/03/corstorphine-murrayfield-by-election-murrayfield-hustings/
Questions picked at random and put to the seven candidates present were (in this order) :
- What previous experience do you have in connections to local issues, and what can you push forward with if elected?
- Can we do anything about the feeding of birds which is encouraging rats?
- The speed of bicycles in the park is a problem. What can be done?
- What are your views on the proposed tram extension which will bisect the Roseburn Path?
- Would you support the CCWEL being extended to Corstorphine, and should the Corstorphine shops be treated like the Roseburn ones?
- What will you do to enforce and preserve single-sex provisions for carers, sporting facilities, toilets within the ward?
One intervention by a member of the public, in response to final question.
Questions not reached were (in random order):
- Do women deserve to have social groups and support groups free from all males in this area?
- Can the candidates say what are your policies on Council tax increases, outsourcing Council services, compulsory redundancies of Council workers?
- Are you for or against turning old railway cycle path into tram line?
- Political engagement with voters?
- Are you considering innovative ways to get funding for your projects?
- What should Edinburgh Council's priorities be among walkers, cyclists and users of public transport?
- How does each candidate plan to ensure safety on cycle-lane, women and children feel unsafe using this?
- Do you live locally - how long have you been in the area and what are locals saying about pressing issues?
- Bin hubs are a gross invasion of privacy!
- How would you make change in the Council especially for independents who would not be able to sit on committees?
- To the SNP candidate, do you agree with the SNP Group's abstention from voting on the Roseburn traders' petition for compensation?
- Do you live in the ward?
- Do you support the new traffic management in Roseburn?
- Fiona (Lib Dem candidate) - please detail your qualified NHS years worked - when did you last have an NHS paid role, and what was it?
Image credits: (c) J Forbes, J McDonaugh